Re: Installation on Old World Mac 9500

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:30:39AM +0100, linux@ladweins.de wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian to an Old World Mac (PowerMac 9500). I have tried Debian 2.2 (Potato) using BootX but failed since I could not find a Boot Ramdisk.

Do you mean that you did not find any installer images, so could never
start the installation?

Why not try the Woody installation rather than potato?

> The Installation of Debian 3.1 has been successful so far, but when I reboot, the System stops at a black screen with a small image of tux with inverted colors in the upper left corner.

When you say that the system stops, are you sure it does not finish
the boot successfully (except for the missing display, of course)?
Does Ctrl-Alt-Delete reboot the machine? If so then the at least the
root fs is mounted.

> I am using a patched Voodoo3 video card.
>
> Any idea what to do?

If the system boots correctly, then you could use debian-installer as
a rescue way into the system, and inspect it from inside, see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/01/msg00306.html

If it really is a kernel (or initrd) problem, then I would suggest
that you try a newer kernel.

-- Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net> A.
Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion Q. Why is top
posting bad?