Re: Files for BootX

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 06:11:31PM -0500, Chris Fisichella wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am on my sixth attempt to install Debian on a Powerbook G3
> (Wallstreet). I am out of ideas. I have OpenFirmware < 3.0, so I tried
> the following:
>
> 1. boot from floppies. four floppies, two different writing methods; I
> think my floppy drive is too picky.
>
> 2. BootX: I could have sworn I downloaded the ramdisk.img.gz file from
> Debian, but, now I go back and cannot find it. I made it the farthest
> with this method. I got to the point where it asks for the installation
> CD, but, then the installer could not find the files rescue.bin and
> powermac/drivers.tgz. I could not find these anywhere on the CD, either.
>
> 3. yaboot. Did not work as the documentation said it would not.
>
> 4. Quik: I could not figure out how to create a unix partition for this
> program to use. I tried the Apple "Linux Home" partition, but that did
> not work. I was skeptical that Apple would support Linux anyhow.

Quik can only work after you have completed the installation. It is
not useful to start an installation.

> Acutely aware of the patience of the readership, I present the
> following questions in decreasing order of importance:
>
> a) Where do I get the ramdisk.img.gz and linux.bin files BootX is
> looking for? The installation CD and the ftp site seem to be pushing
> yaboot and floppies.

These filenames are not used anymore, the installation manual still
mentions them, but that is a known bug in the installation manual (bug
#344477).

The new filenames are "vmlinux" and "initrd.gz"

I you aim for an installation started with BootX and loading the rest
from an installation-CD, you should use the "cdrom" flavour of the
"vmlinux/initrd.gz" files, located at:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-powerpc/current/images/powerpc/cdrom/

I don't know where on the installation-cd these files are located.

> b) Is BootX the way to go? I would like to have both MacOS9 and Sarge
> on the same machine. It seems reasonable and, like I wrote previously,
> it seemed to work the best for my setup.

Yes.

--
        Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Signature generated by Signify v1.14.  For this and more, visit http://www.debian.org/