Re: Files for BootX

On (09/01/06 18:11), Chris Fisichella wrote:
> I am on my sixth attempt to install Debian on a Powerbook G3
> (Wallstreet). I am out of ideas. I have OpenFirmware < 3.0, so I tried
> the following:
>
> 1. boot from floppies. four floppies, two different writing methods; I
> think my floppy drive is too picky.
>
> 2. BootX: I could have sworn I downloaded the ramdisk.img.gz file from
> Debian, but, now I go back and cannot find it. I made it the farthest
> with this method. I got to the point where it asks for the installation
> CD, but, then the installer could not find the files rescue.bin and
> powermac/drivers.tgz. I could not find these anywhere on the CD, either.
>
> 3. yaboot. Did not work as the documentation said it would not.
>
> 4. Quik: I could not figure out how to create a unix partition for this
> program to use. I tried the Apple "Linux Home" partition, but that did
> not work. I was skeptical that Apple would support Linux anyhow.
>
> Acutely aware of the patience of the readership, I present the
> following questions in decreasing order of importance:
>
> a) Where do I get the ramdisk.img.gz and linux.bin files BootX is
> looking for? The installation CD and the ftp site seem to be pushing
> yaboot and floppies.
 Get BootX from here:

 http://penguinppc.org/historical/benh/

 It's a while since i did this but it was pretty straight forward and
 quite a few people have documented the process ... google around, you
 should find loads.

Here's one:

 http://www.ppcnux.de/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=79

Regards