Re: sarge->etch on Performa 6360, new 2.6.18-3 kernel problems.

> > Rick, what kind of ATI card does your G3 have? The 3400 should have
> > some
> > sort of rage64 or even older type.
>

> "lspci -nn" gives me:
>
> ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage I/II 215GT [Mach64 GT] (rev 9a)

So that's a rage64 covered by atyfb ...

> > Can you tweak some driver parameters (mclk and pll come to mind) to
> > see if
> > that improves things a bit?
>
> How do I do that?  (I'm using BootX under MacOS-9 as the bootloader.)

I faered you might ask that ...

Add video=atyfb:mclk=xxx to the kernel boot options (IIRC BootX has a text
input box to type the kernel options.

Now what would be sensible things to try for mclk for your card, that I
don't know. The kernel should report the values used (look for the section
in the kernel boot log that is prefixed by atyfb: - my Lombard used to
report the PLL and clock data there). Try setting lower numbers (vary by
10% or so). Various pages on the net used to have hints on this, back
around 2000 or so. Maybe also check the settings used by older kernels;
PLL autodetection was hard to get 100% reliable, or so BenH said. Max.
mclk/xclk should be 63, max. pll should be 135 for your card.

I don't seem to have a backup of my old yaboot.conf, so searching old
mailing list archives might be your best bet.

	Michael