sarge->etch on Performa 6360, new 2.6.18-3 kernel problems.

I've just done an upgrade from a current Sarge install to etch on a Performa 6360 (with 6500/225 motherboard inside), and the new kernel that's been installed seems to have problems.

Booting with BootX into the 2.6.18-3 kernel that the etch upgrade installed gives a slightly corrupted display that initially does what it should, but when it gets to working on the root filesystem, just sits there waiting. The screen looks like this at the point it fails:

http://www.danamania.com/temp/performafail.jpg

You can see some of the characters are corrupted - there are three columns of this corruption down the screen, flickering like there's some data flowing through the pixels in those characters, even when it sits there waiting for the root file system.

Booting into the older 2.6.8 kernel from Sarge works OK though.

After a few minutes, I'm dropped to a prompt inside the initramfs. Looking around there, I noticed /lib/modules/2.6.18-3-powerpc has only a few modules included (as I'd expect), but ext3 isn't one of them, and my root filesystem is ext3. Should there be an ext3 kernel module in the initramfs? could it be that the initramdisk has been created incorrectly without that module, and I need to jump back into the system with the older kernel and recreate an initramdisk somehow?

Any clues would be helpful :)

Thanks,
Dana