Re: sarge->etch on Performa 6360, new 2.6.18-3 kernel problems.

On 18/12/2006, at 10:48:48PM, Michael Schmitz wrote:

http://www.danamania.com/temp/performafail.jpg

You can see some of the characters are corrupted - there are three
columns of this corruption down the screen, flickering like there's
some data flowing through the pixels in those characters, even when
it sits there waiting for the root file system.

Sounds like the kernel is using what counted for framebuffer memory as
disk buffers now.

Ouch. While I fear this may be more than I'm capable of fixing, what might be the best solution? My abilities stretch to compiling a custom kernel with a load of un-needed features stripped out, I needed to do that from time to time on one of my NuBus macs running Woody for a time. Any suggestions on whether there could be anything there I could massage to get a current kernel working?

So far as I've experimented, Etch is working as I need with an up to date Sarge kernel, but I'd much prefer to use Etch's own, if only for painless security updates. I'm quite attached to this quiet & low- power server.

Dana