Re: ports, big and small, two questions

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 12:55:47AM -0800, brian wrote:
> 1) has anyone ran or heard of running debian
> on the *original* g3 powerbook, aka 3500/kanga ?
> (any version, say at least 2.2 kernel/potato or later)
>
>    i have been playing with one i can't get it to
> boot right, and searching googles i have mostly seem
> dead ends of people with trouble, no real followups,
>
> except for maybe yellowdog, which lead to my next q.
>
> 2) has anyone work or interest or heard any plans to
> port to playstation3, or even some cell-ppc of some
> kind ?

I have been contacted by Sony to get the playstation 3 work going. But unless
we have access to hardware, this is rather academic. I know Konstantinos is
interested in Cell work.

> if you haven't looked at yellow dog site lately you
> might,
> see where $$$ sponsorship and prof porting is going
> lately.

Terrasoft has some problem, their business model used to be reselling Apple
XServe's to build clusters and stuff. This has changed some. They are now
interested in selling the cell blades in this way, and the playstation III
makes a good test case.

> if you do have a look consider there saying "good
> riddance" to apple, except may be continue to support
> previous ppc apple.

They are selling non-ppc apple though.

Anyway, the problem is availability of hardware, and the fact that etch is now
kind-of frozen, and it will be hard to include the playstation III kernel
patches into it, or the cell-targetting toolchain for that matter.

Friendly,

Sven Luther