Re: More Powerbook Questions.

Filippo Giunchedi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:52:37PM -0500, Matthew Gracie wrote:
>
>> A few more questions about Debian PPC on the 12" Powerbook G4/867 I
>> inherited at work:
>>
>> 1) bcm43xx seems to be _really_ flaky; I can associate with an AP, I can
>> run iwlist, but I can't seem to actually get an address via DHCP or play
>> any active part in the network. I'm running 2.6.18-3 from Sid; a brief
>> Googling has implied that the module in this particular kernel is flaky,
>> but I can't find anywhere to download a .deb of 2.6.17 to try. Is my
>> experience unusual? Does anyone know where I can get the old kernel from?
>>
>> 2) Is suspend-to-RAM supported on this machine at all? When I close the
>> lid or hit the power button it seems to simply blank the screen. Again,
>> I've Googled, and found conflicting reports.
>>

> No, suspend to ram isn't supported on nvidia cards to my knowledge.
> I'm using swsusp on a 2.6.17 with much good results, though! I haven't tried
> with recent debian kernels but linux-image-2.6.17 wasn't working out of the box
> back then when I tried it. (heh, I got swsusp working, why try a different
> kernel and thus reboot?! :))
>
> filippo
First of all, thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. I do
appreciate it. I've been using Linux for a while now, but mostly on
servers so I'm not as concerned about the laptop hardware support
software. That, of course, means I'm not as familiar with it.

I'll try out the wireless stuff with another network or two. It would be
unfortunate if I can't use it with the wireless at work, but it will be
good to know if that's where the problem lies. As I said in my earlier
message, it's sort of odd that I can associate with an AP, but I can't
get any sort of DHCP lease traffic to work. I suppose the next step
would be to fire up Wireshark and see if the packets are making it to
the PB at all.

As for the swsusp, I've never used it, but I'll look for it in the etch
repositories and see what comes up.

Thanks again, everyone!

--Matt