Re: miboot-floppies (powerpc oldworld) for sarge

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 01:43:23AM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Actually, you (and I) *can* boot our oldworld PowerMacs from the 2.4
> miboot floppyset.  And we can install Sarge from there.  We can even
> use it to install a 2.6.8 kernel.
>
> Not to put words into his mouth, but I think that is what Holger is
> saying.  For the purpose the Sarge floppyset serves, it's enough to
> have just a 2.4 kernel for the installer.
>
> On the other hand, what Sven is saying seems (again, not to put words
> in his mouth) to be that, as long as we're going to encourage the
> user to install a 2.6 kernel eventually, it would be cleaner/nicer/
> more-elegant to start them off with a 2.6 kernel from the beginning
> in the installer.
>
> Holger seems to reply "Why bother?"
>
> My thought (admittedly a bit of a stretch) is that there *may* be
> hardware out there (SATA disks?) that a user can plug into an
> OldWorld PowerMac PCI slot that is not supported by the 2.4 kernel,
> but is supported by the 2.6 kernel, and why should we artificially
> limit our user base to exclude such users?
>
> So I mostly agree with Sven on this one, but I don't think it's worth
> a lot of emotion.  There are plenty of bigger issues regarding
> OldWorld PowerMacs that need looking into.  Until recently, just
> getting Etch to boot *at-all* on OldWorld was one of them!

Notice that with the etch release around the corner, installing sarge is not
all that important.

I have kind of lost oversight of what is going on in the etch/oldworld arena.
There where various bugs for various kernel versions and boot methods, some of
them with a fix.

What is really needed is for confirmation with the current kernels that :

  1) miboot booting works (or not).

  2) bootx booting works (or not).

  3) quik booting works (or not).

Rick, you have been rather active in this, could i ask you to make a survey
with the current 2.6.18 kernels in both etch and testing, and tell us what
works and what doesn't. And file a bug report against the kernel packages
(linux-2.6, title prefaced [powerpc,oldworld]).

Friendly,

Sven Luther