Re: Which version

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 20:08 -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 09:53:16PM +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > For sake of not repeating the same topics in this thread I will start
> > off by saying that I am also a recent convert to Debian Testing PPC
> > from Ubuntu 6.10. My primary motivation for moving to Debian was as a
> > result of a recent decision by Canonical to drop support for PPC as of
> > the end of version 6.10.
> >
> > I invested a lot of time and resources in getting my Ubuntu system
> > 'stable' only to discover that my life cycle with Ubuntu would in fact
> > not last very long and this was a hugely disappointing factor for me.
> > >From a ethical point of view this made me realise that as long as any
> > company is behind any kind of distro the only thing that will
> > ultimately matter is the companies bottom-line and not the end user.
> >
> > I figured it would be wise to terminate my relationship with Ubuntu
> > immediately, rather than later, and start the lengthy process of
> > migrating everything over to Etch.
> >
> Hi Justin,
> As an owner of a ppc, I have no problem with Canonical dropping support
> for PPC macs, they are a company focused on the desktop, which is why
> they initially supported PPC macs. Once that market no longer was to be
> supported, they had little choice, as they have limited resources to
> further their goal to bring users to the linux desktop. Luckily the PPC
> platform has some life left in the embedded market and to a lesser
> extent the PPC mac users. And with the recent 'vancouver' document that
> was added as a new release standard from etch and forwards, some of the
> architecures that are now supported may be dropped from official status
> or removed. The obvious case being m68k -- aka the orginal macs -- not
> being in Etch. In the upcoming release cycle -- lenny, I'd love to see
> m68k and other arch. still be here but they have an uphill battle no
> matter what distro you pick.
> cheers,
> Kev

Personally, I've always been rather suspicious of the whole Ubuntu
thing.   My thought was that they were giving the CDs away as a means of
bolstering name recognition and establishing themselves as a mainstream
linux player.   I was sure that they would eventually parlay that into
an IPO of some sort, and the people responsible for Ubuntu would walk
away with a multi-billion dollar profit.   Perhaps I was wrong, but it's
still kind of early to discount the theory.