G5 iMac w/firewire likes Etch-Testing Snapshot!

Just want to say thanks for the PPC port to all the developers and users. I just had a pleasant experience installing the latest daily-snapshot (2.6.18-3) netinstall into my Rev-A G5 iMac.

I'm also successfully booting it from a 40gB external firewire ("G-Drive" by G-tech purchased at the Apple store)

A couple of observations (not showstoppers really):

During install, the fans were quiet, but after a reboot they screamed. I had to load the windfarm modules manually to /etc/modules. I'm familiar with this issue.

The default for ethernet is eth1 (Sun Gem) and not eth0.

When I first went to partition the firewire drive using guided partitioning, it thought the drive was 423 Gb. I had to use manual partitioning to feed it some sane sizes since the drive is really 40gb. Subsequent repartition/reformats seem to recognize the true size of the drive now. Weird. Probably a drive issue.

To get the drive to boot, I had to manually add my openfirmware paths and change some things in the yaboot.conf file and run ybin from a system booted from the internal drive. I temporarily placed the firewire's yaboot.conf into /etc and ran ybin from there. Boots like a champ now.

I'm having a blast getting this Etch system up and running and really like what I see so far. Thanks again to the PPC crew!