Re: Which version

On wto, 2006-12-12 at 23:13 -0500, De Served wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 20:08 -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 09:53:16PM +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> > > Hi Guys
> > >
> > > For sake of not repeating the same topics in this thread I will start
> > > off by saying that I am also a recent convert to Debian Testing PPC
> > > from Ubuntu 6.10. My primary motivation for moving to Debian was as a
> > > result of a recent decision by Canonical to drop support for PPC as of
> > > the end of version 6.10.
> > >
> > > I invested a lot of time and resources in getting my Ubuntu system
> > > 'stable' only to discover that my life cycle with Ubuntu would in fact
> > > not last very long and this was a hugely disappointing factor for me.
> > > company is behind any kind of distro the only thing that will
> > > ultimately matter is the companies bottom-line and not the end user.
> > >
> > > I figured it would be wise to terminate my relationship with Ubuntu
> > > immediately, rather than later, and start the lengthy process of
> > > migrating everything over to Etch.
> > >
> > Hi Justin,
> > As an owner of a ppc, I have no problem with Canonical dropping support
> > for PPC macs, they are a company focused on the desktop, which is why
> > they initially supported PPC macs. Once that market no longer was to be
> > supported, they had little choice, as they have limited resources to
> > further their goal to bring users to the linux desktop. Luckily the PPC
> > platform has some life left in the embedded market and to a lesser
> > extent the PPC mac users. And with the recent 'vancouver' document that
> > was added as a new release standard from etch and forwards, some of the
> > architecures that are now supported may be dropped from official status
> > or removed. The obvious case being m68k -- aka the orginal macs -- not
> > being in Etch. In the upcoming release cycle -- lenny, I'd love to see
> > m68k and other arch. still be here but they have an uphill battle no
> > matter what distro you pick.
> > cheers,
> > Kev
>
> Personally, I've always been rather suspicious of the whole Ubuntu
> thing.   My thought was that they were giving the CDs away as a means of
> bolstering name recognition and establishing themselves as a mainstream
> linux player.   I was sure that they would eventually parlay that into
> an IPO of some sort, and the people responsible for Ubuntu would walk
> away with a multi-billion dollar profit.   Perhaps I was wrong, but it's
> still kind of early to discount the theory.

Heck, and I've always believed Mark Shuttleworth is actually an alien
that eats babies for breakfast and gets a snack of kittens before lunch.
I guess it's a valid theory and I'll hold on to it.
I'm sorry for my low-quality sarcasm, but I've heard enough wild
conspiracy theories about people that I value.
--
Andrzej Mendel <amendel@wp.pl>