Re: GWorkspace doesn't work in Sarge

--- Yavor Doganov <yavor@doganov.org> wrote:

> brian wrote:
> >
> > > Please be aware that there have been big/major
> developments in
> > > GnuStep over the past year. more so in the
> underneath layers than
> > > in the applications suite.
>
> This is true, but is irrelevant to the OP's problem.

You seem to have a much different perspective on this
than i have. mine was that GnuStep needed and got a
major overhaul this year, which is will allow a real
desktop now to develop that is presently in a
prototype stage with etoile' being the leading
contender (the others simply not not showing much more
than the old gworkspace/windowmaker results, or/and
not getting adequate developer interest)

> > > so that makes it difficult for the developers to
> do much for you,
> > > as before that it was stalled for quite a while.
>
> This is not true.  I'm not a co-maintainer for
> gwrokspace.app, that's
> why I suggested filing a bug.  Most probably there
> will be people who
> can help or at least try to locate the issue.

yes, i am sorry but it is. there is besides the issue
of gnustep big change is that sarge will soon be
old stable which with big change in etch again makes
asking superhuman demands from a limited group of
people. unless suddenly debian were to take a much
more friendly stance on developing new developers
and/or officially supporting backports -- i don't
think though it has the resources to do either.

> > > the thing is you CAN upgrade to Xorg while still
> running the sarge
> > > 2.6.8 kernel, that is from testing; if you are
> willing to do so
> > > then you can update GnuStep to a recent version.
>
> Basically there is a reason why people run stable so
> advising them to
> upgrade to testing does not seem to be a good idea.
> Last time I tried
> (that was about a year ago, I think) GNUstep in
> Sarge was in a pretty
> good shape.

of course that is so. and i said before i kept a copy,
at least a mixed sarge/testing. actually i do keep a
copy of sarge and use it often enough to update it
and test it. i sometimes think if you came from
a windows background you may find a much lower level
of quality adequate. however, mine was bsd, nextstep,
and mac, and i just find MS/W standards to be
completely unacceptable.

> > > but i would say that windowmaker and gworkspace
> both have some
> > > problems
>
> We would like to know about these problems, please.
> Window Maker is
> the preferred window manager for GNUstep both by
> upstream and the
> Debian maintainers.

this is like saying that MS/windows is preffered for
C++. it is not consistent, as windowmaker has nothing
to do with gnustep, it is just a look (and not much
more).

IMHO WM/GW are not really fixable, in fact they are
simply absolete. if there is some political force
once again that is seeking to maintain the status
quo, it is just going to create further problems.

> > > while when i had time i was trying to build the
> new gnustep
> > > desktop package -- that is called etoile.  it is
> not in debian but
> > > it looks like it could be better. i had tried
> fsviewer also and
> > > found both to not work really well.
>
> The source package etoile is in Debian, but it
> currently builds only
> camaelon.app and dictionaryreader.app.  Etoile is
> very unstable and a
> bit of vapourware so we have decided to postpone the
> whole work after
> the release of Etch.

yes, and no. it requires recent gnustep first, so that
needs to be stable. you can't build it right
otherwise.

i did say i have not been able to work with it lately,
didn't I ?? you seem to have taken out my context.
but i would not call it vaporware like the others, if
you would look at a version from the last 3 months, it
too has grown in a very major way and that is half
the reason i have not been keeping up with it besides
waiting for debian/etch gnustep to stabilize.

> It's a pity that there are three efforts for a
> GNUstep desktop
> (Backbone, Etoile and GAP) and none of them is
> complete or at least
> working properly.  Unfortunately, Etoile diverts
> very much from the
> original look & feel.

no, it is skinnable. you are confusing it with
chameleon as it seems most people confuse windowmaker
with gnustep.

half of linux  is either incomplete or doesn't work
"properly", unless you go to one of the more
commercial distros, and/or put yourself in the
middle mainstream, where it seems to me you are
missing the point (may as well use mac os X
way before that, where you can get most of
debian anyway and gnustep besides via fink)

brian

p.s.

i didn't really so much disagree with your original
suggestions here as i wanted to offer them a few
other choices. i assume people are going to make
up their own minds and do their own homework, i
can only make suggestion.