Re: GWorkspace doesn't work in Sarge

brian wrote:

> > Please be aware that there have been big/major developments in
> > GnuStep over the past year. more so in the underneath layers than
> > in the applications suite.

This is true, but is irrelevant to the OP's problem.

> > so that makes it difficult for the developers to do much for you,
> > as before that it was stalled for quite a while.

This is not true.  I'm not a co-maintainer for gwrokspace.app, that's
why I suggested filing a bug.  Most probably there will be people who
can help or at least try to locate the issue.

> > the thing is you CAN upgrade to Xorg while still running the sarge
> > 2.6.8 kernel, that is from testing; if you are willing to do so
> > then you can update GnuStep to a recent version.

Basically there is a reason why people run stable so advising them to
upgrade to testing does not seem to be a good idea.  Last time I tried
(that was about a year ago, I think) GNUstep in Sarge was in a pretty
good shape.

> > but i would say that windowmaker and gworkspace both have some
> > problems

We would like to know about these problems, please.  Window Maker is
the preferred window manager for GNUstep both by upstream and the
Debian maintainers.

> > while when i had time i was trying to build the new gnustep
> > desktop package -- that is called etoile.  it is not in debian but
> > it looks like it could be better. i had tried fsviewer also and
> > found both to not work really well.

The source package etoile is in Debian, but it currently builds only
camaelon.app and dictionaryreader.app.  Etoile is very unstable and a
bit of vapourware so we have decided to postpone the whole work after
the release of Etch.

It's a pity that there are three efforts for a GNUstep desktop
(Backbone, Etoile and GAP) and none of them is complete or at least
working properly.  Unfortunately, Etoile diverts very much from the
original look & feel.