Re: Playing a movie on ppc.

Hello,
On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 12:36:20PM +0100, Børge Holen wrote:
> On Sunday 05 November 2006 12:33, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Hello Charles,
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 01:54:57PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > > With the arrival of mplayer in Debian, I wanted to try if it was able to
> > > play a movie (I did not manage with other programs). Unfortunately, it
> > > dit not work, for instance with the following command:
> > >
> > > mplayer
> > > http://charles.plessy.org/picture_gallery/8.4ngn1:GFP/020207_84G_24h_tel-
> > >di_20x_anim_xy.mpg
> > >
> > > The output follows. Is it possible to watch any mpeg file on ppc ?
> >
> > It should be, and I've definitly done so in the past. mplayer (self
> > compiled) works/worked fine for me on alpha, x86, x86_64 and ppc.
> >
> > Please report this as a bug against mplayer (and also the totem
> > problem you experience). Simply paste this e-mail to the list in the
> > bug report (use reportbug). The maintainer(s) should then help you
> > getting it to work.
> >

> There's no bug to report. He needs to get ; a new deb file with the right
> compiler configurations, install the missing xv libs, compile it himself to
> get the nvidia drivers goin.

Please, please do not discourage people from filing bugs. He used an
official debian package, and it failed to work (as I understood, for
several input files). A user is not supposed to "; a new deb file"
(whatever this means), "install missing xv libs" (this is a serious
bug (missing depenencies), if the package fails to work without those
libs installed), "compile
himself" - no this is not gentoo, users are expected to get a working
binary.

When mplayer was out of debian, this might have been acceptable, but
now it no longer is!

So there *is* a bug to report, and Charles, please be so kind and do
so.

Greetings

            Helge

--