Re: mount hfs+ partition

At Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:55:19 -0800 (PST), brian wrote:

> honest to god, i have only been able to mount hfsplus partition with
> mount -t ufs ufstype=openstep

I just want to confirm that one can mount hfsplus partitions used by
MacOSX on linux in read-write mode.  However, you should make sure
that you disable the journal on the partition, because the journal is
not supported on linux.  Note also that there is currently no support
to check the filesystem on linux.

On my system:
ruben@guava ~ $ grep hfsplus /etc/fstab
/dev/hda7	/mnt/mac	hfsplus	ro	0	0
/dev/hda8       /mnt/osx        hfsplus ro,noauto       0       0
ruben@guava ~ $ mount | grep hfsplus
/dev/hda7 on /mnt/mac type hfsplus (ro)

Yup, it is mounted read-only, because I only need to use that
partition read-only. If it is mounted read-write and for some reason
the partition is not umounted cleanly, I will have to reboot in OSX to
have the partition checked... so that's why I just mount it read-only,
but I used to mount it read-write before and writing did work.

> the package hfsplus, does not mount actually its a virtual thing.

hmmm...?

ruben@guava ~ $ dpkg -L hfsplus
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/hpmount
/usr/bin/hpumount
/usr/bin/hpls
/usr/bin/hpcd
/usr/bin/hpcopy
/usr/bin/hppwd
/usr/bin/hpfsck
/usr/bin/hprm
/usr/bin/hpmkdir
/usr/share
/usr/share/linda
/usr/share/linda/overrides
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/hfsplus
/usr/share/doc/hfsplus/copyright
/usr/share/doc/hfsplus/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/hfsplus/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man7
/usr/share/man/man7/hfsplus.7.gz
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/hpfsck.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/hpls.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/hpmkdir.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/hpmount.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/hppwd.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/hprm.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/hpcd.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/hpcopy.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/hpumount.1.gz

Hmm.. and now I see there is a hpfsck... well, I read long time ago
that someone was trying to port it from the open source OSX
parts.. must have been ported in the mean time then.

> but the real hangup in both cases is its read only.
> so for the original poster of this thread, no help
> really.

guava ~ # mount -o remount,rw /mnt/mac
guava ~ # mount | grep hfsplus
/dev/hda7 on /mnt/mac type hfsplus (rw)
guava ~ # touch /mnt/mac/blahblah
guava ~ # ls -l /mnt/mac/blahblah
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Nov  1 12:28 /mnt/mac/blahblah

> none of this has changed for me in the last year from
> 2.6.8 through 2.6.18 kernel.

I've been using that HFS+ partition already for a long
time... probably about a year. And it's just with regular kernel
support and the hfsplus package. (on Debian unstable)

ruben@guava ~ $ grep HFS /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_HFS_FS=y
CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS=y

Anyways.. can't help with the problem of the original poster.. like
someone else said.. it seems likely that the appropriate kernel module
is missing and/or the hfsplus package.

Ruben