Re: ftp.debian.org: Please remove numactl for alpha/powerpc from unstable

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 16:29 +1100, Ian Wienand wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 04:06:31PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Or if not ,what is the exact missing bit ? numactl should work on
> > powerpc and is useful on it. It shouldn't be dropped just bcs there is a
> > temporary build failure.
>
> I wish to drop it for now firstly because (and this is my fault) I
> ignored for it a bit too long and the testing version is *way* out of
> date.  I'd like .10 in testing at least for those architectures that
> support it out-of-the-box.  I am happy to (and intended to) put
> powerpc back in when it can work.
>
> > Is it the new sys_migrate_pages that isn't hooked (yet) on powerpc ?
>
> Yes; but worse at the moment because upstream manually calls syscall
> 280, which is just wrong (this is what the current version in unstable
> is doing, which is another reason to get rid of it for now).
>
> If you get it wired up in the kernel, and Andi fixes up libnuma I'm
> happy to put it all back together again.

Can't you just apply a debian patch fixing the syscall number and do a
build with that ? It doesn't need the syscall to work, and as I said, we
do use it regulary, I would be fairly annoyed if it disappeared
completely even temporarily.

Ben.