Re: synaptics PowerBook ?

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 09:11 +0200, Andrea Lusuardi - UoVoBW wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:51:18 +1000
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>

> > Any reason why this patch isn't submited upstream ? :)
> >
> > Ben.
>
> the patch actually isn't mine.
> It has first been written by Luca Bigliardi but he could not find
> anyone willing to submit it because there was a flame - i do not
> remeber exactly between him and who - because it did not use sysfs.

I remember doing a comment about that but not flaming anybody :) It
might have degenrated into a flamewar later on. I think the patch could
use being modified to have a way to "switch" between the 2 modes at
runtime though, or at the very least with a kernel command line option.

> Then Bigliardi stopped mantaining it and Matteo Bigoi took over, but
> he always made minor modifications so it could just work with newer
> kernels.

Ok.

> I don't know if the patch is actually ready for upstream, needs
> cleaning or any of the such becaus i always just used it - both autors
> are friends and study colleagues.
> I suggest you - or someone willing to take it upstream - contact Matteo
> Bigoi for all the informations.

It certainly could go upstream with a bit of work, I was just suprised
there was no apperent effort in that direction.

Ben.