Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Hi Denis,

Sorry to come in late on this...

On  23 Sep, this message from Denis Barbier echoed through cyberspace:
> Hi,
>
> I just uploaded xkb-data 0.8-13 into unstable, it
> is available at http://people.debian.org/~barbier/tmp/
> and will reach mirrors in almost a day.

I installed 0.8-16 today , on a Mac Mini with an Apple USB keyboard (the
white one). I am using a swiss french layout.

I reloaded X with the new xkb-data and with the following config:

mlan@owl:~$ grep -i xkb /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "ch"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "fr"
#       Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"

While this is generally quite OK (it took me some time to find the
"XkbVariant" method for specifying swiss _french_)

Keypad block:
- KP_Equal is missing on keycode 157,
- top row is missing; they are volume down, volume up, mute, eject on
  keycodes 174, 176, 160, 204 in that order.

Cursor and page up/down block:
- F14/F15/F16 are missing on keycodes 183, 184, 93 (in that order)
- the key labelled "Help", between F14 and Delete, left of "Home", sends
  "Insert" as on PC keyboards. Not sure what to do about that one.

Alpha block:
- F13 is missing on keycode 182,
- Apple keys (keycodes 115/left and 116/right) map to nothing
  (NoSymbol), Alt keys map to Alt indeed.
- The "tilde" key (symbol is different, but as engraved) and the "<>"
  are in the right place, i.e. not swapped. I can't verify (short of
  rebooting) whether the kernel detects ISO or not.

All engraved Shift'ed symbols are OK as well.

However, the big problem is this: I can't acces 3rd/4th level! It would
seem that the corresponding symbols are not defined (i.e. it's not a
modifier problem). I suspect the problem here:

mlan@owl:~$ setxkbmap -rules "xorg" -model macintosh -layout ch -variant fr -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "macintosh/us(extended)+macintosh/ch(fr)"       };
        xkb_geometry  { include "macintosh(macintosh)"  };
};

Shouldn't xkb_symbols include macintosh_vndr(bla) instead of
macintosh(bla)? And indeed, compiling:

mlan@owl:~$ setxkbmap -rules "xorg" -model macintosh -layout ch -variant fr -print | xkbcomp - :0
Error:            Can't find file "macintosh/ch" for symbols include
                  Exiting
                  Abandoning symbols file "(null)"
Error:            success in unknown
                  Couldn't write keyboard description to :0

Now, my analysis may be completely off as I am by no means an XKB expert
(and seeing the complexity and lack of documentation I doubt many people
are).

Any comments apreciated

Cheers

Michel