Re: Please test xkb-data 0.8-12exp2 in experimental

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:03:54PM +0000, Jörg Sommer wrote:
> Hello Sven,
>
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> >> I went at an Apple Center today, and indeed 6 has the symbol you
> >> described engraved on it; this key is immediately to the left of
> >> the numpad (on keys 7, 8, 9) so it is indeed surely Num_Lock.
> >> This is handled by the hardware, Fn + 6 returns keycode 77.
> >
> > On my powerbook (last-of-tibook generation, some 3-4 years old), US keyboard,
> > the 6 key is part of the fn-enabled numerical pad, and is marked 'clear' for
> > the combination with the fn key.
>
> I've got the information in the german mac group that this is the clear
> key found on a calculator. I tried the calculator (in german ???Rechner???)
> from OS X and, yes, it is the clear key used to reset the calculator.
>
> I don't know if X has an equivalent, but it is not the num lock key.

That's not so clear:

>From
http://www.iogear.com/support/manual/GCS634U.pdf:

Advanced Hotkeys

You may enter advanced hotkey mode by pressing and holding [Num Lock]
on the number pad, then pressing the [-] key on the number pad and
immediately releasing both keys. On Apple keyboards the [Clear] key on
the number pad should be used in place of [Num Lock]. If you have done
this correctly the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights on the keyboard
should begin flashing. This means you are in hotkey mode, which will be
shortened to just [HKM] below. If you are having trouble entering
hotkey mode press [Esc] and try again.

And this excerpt from
http://www.macintouch.com/ReaderReports/bootcamp/topic4188.html .. :
______________________________
[ .. the question, WP ]
I have successfully installed Boot Camp, Windows XP Pro, sp2, and the
Mac drivers. The only problem I detect is inability to use numeric
keypad on the standard white Apple keyboard on my Intel iMac. Any
suggestions?

[Answer, WP]
Try the "clear" key on the keypad. On older Apple keyboards, this key
had an alternate label of "num lock" and a status light. It probably
still serves this function, despite the lack of the label and light.
_______________________________

You can search for more instances of the "clear key" on this last
page, with several hints that say this key has some sort of "Num Lock"
function ...

You might want searching Google with these parameters:
+"clear key" +apple +f6

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on