Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Hi,

On 9/23/06, Denis Barbier <barbier@linuxfr.org> wrote:
Hi,

I just uploaded xkb-data 0.8-13 into unstable, it
is available at http://people.debian.org/~barbier/tmp/

Thanks. It works fine on my ibook G4 1.2Ghz 12" french keyboard.

Some remarks about french ibook keyboard:

1) xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
      Driver          "kbd"
      Option          "CoreKeyboard"
      Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
      Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
      #Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
      Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
      #Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection
 ===> No accesses to the special characters (~ [ ] { } | ...).

Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
      Driver          "kbd"
      Option          "CoreKeyboard"
      Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
      #Option         "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
      Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
      Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
      #Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection
===> Access to the special characters by the KP_Enter key.

Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
      Driver          "kbd"
      Option          "CoreKeyboard"
      Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
      Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
      #Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
      Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
      Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection
===> Access to the special characters by the Apple key.

Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
      Driver          "kbd"
      Option          "CoreKeyboard"
      Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
      #Option         "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
      Option          "XkbModel"      "ibook"
      Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
      Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"
EndSection
 ===> Access to the special characters by the Apple key or KP_Enter key.

2) package console-data

I use mac-fr-ext (/usr/share/keymaps/mac/mac-fr-ext.kmap.gz) from
package console-data, which enables me to switch to X by ctrl + Apple
+ F7 and to write special characters using alt/option key in a
console.

With the xkb-data's default setting, I switch to console by ctrl +
alt/option + Fx, and write special characters with Apple or KP_Enter
key.

I have no preference among these two default settings.

Best regards,
Bin

and will reach mirrors in almost a day.

This version is very similar to 0.8-12exp4, I believe
that it is pretty solid, but needs more polishing.
We can discuss to change default settings and broken
layouts, but keep in mind that since most layouts
were unusable, people now have different habits and
we cannot make everybody happy with default settings.

Please, test it, send feedback if something does not
work or can be improved, write documentation for other
powerpc users that could be included in xkb-data, etc.
Thanks for your help.

Denis