Re: grub2 on powerpc

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 08:17 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
>  - Checkout d-i source.
>  - Apply my patch and build grub-installer udeb.
>  - Put the udeb in installer/build/localudebs, and add it to the cd with:
>      echo grub-installer > installer/build/pkg-lists/local
>  - Build a netboot image as normal.

Did that, but I also had to build dmidecode-udeb with powerpc added to
its debian/control arch list. It might make more sense to drop the
grub-installer dependency on dmidecode-udeb on powerpc instead.

>  - Boot the resulting image in expert mode, and when queried about using grub2
>    answer Yes.
>  - Check wether it boots (and have a rescue disk at hand!)

I couldn't get past the prompt for where to install grub2. I tried (hd0)
as well as (hd0,1) ('NewWorld bootblock' on hda2) but got an error for
both. Then I found http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnPowerPC and decided
it's too much hassle for me right now. In case someone else wants to
give it a spin though: