Re: kernel-image-2.6.16-2 on oldworld (success with a small change in config)

hans -

did you put modules=dep in the config file inside the
directory of etc/initramfs-tools.

then run update-initramfs.

may need discover package, so it can see all the
modules.

be careful --
the changes in initrd  i have looked at for some
hours,
they are pretty complex. (best i can tell  is some
how correct digital i/o sound support is related
to keep hd data safe, seems udev is involved as well)

i should try 16 again. but i could not even run 15
without
the above stuffs going.

brian

ps have seen more reports of experienced people having
hd
problems and for myself, with all my old machines and
used
disks and all am checking today with SMART - found a
bad spot
which would not clear with fsck -ccf; i am just going
to work around
it for now and keep an eye on it, this is on 2000
pismo running
ATA5 disk on an ATA4 controller (just discovering
myself what
all this is ...)

pps making backup copy of my disks with debian
installer is getting
(ie "copy install" in partitioner)
pretty easy - direct raw copy is v quick, and with new
initrd mechanism
and other  etch features it is pretty easy to get it
to boot if you need it.
(at least with old world, it works for me ...)

http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/