Re: iBook and batteries

Hello Jack,

Jack Malmostoso <jackmalmostoso@freesurf.ch> wrote:
> My iBook is 32 months old and around the 24th month I noticed a sudden
> loss in battery performance: I thought it was related to some changes in
> power management under linux (never really had the nerves to use OSX as
> long as the battery life...), but (using a small .app called
> "coconutBattery") I have now found out that only 69% of my battery is
> still alive after *only* 167 charge cycles.

How are the 69% calculated?

> My question is: could you make a small "survey" on the health of your
> batteries,

How should I do this?

> to see if we (as linux users) have a problem with that or if we are
> pretty much average? Would it be possible to access such information
> from linux too? Maybe something in /proc, who knows.

Do you search /proc/pmu/battery_0?
% cat /proc/pmu/battery_0

flags      : 00000011
charge     : 2540
max_charge : 2549
current    : 0
voltage    : 12374

> Oh, and since we're on the topic: did anybody of you experience problems
> with your batteries, such as overheating, swelling and such?

My battery gets very hot while charging, but this is was ever so.

Bye, Jörg.
--
"Hey, dad, you see how this man can twist his fingers? Amazing, isn't
it?" "No, son, not really. He's been using Emacs for ten years..."