Re: Let me know if you're looking for PowerPC parts

Le jeu 2006-08-24 a 12:07:54 -0400, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@gmail.com> a dit:
>    Hi Simon,
>
>    I know, it's seems like an odd post.  I've no programming experience to
>    contribute to the debian-powerpc project; thus far I've only been able to
>    test the results of programmers' efforts, such as by installing the latest
>    (or past) kernels on my OldWorld PowerBook.  So how can I contribute?
>    I've spent some time searching (and purchasing) PowerPC parts, and maybe I
>    can save someone or two reading this list the time (and perhaps, anxiety)
>    it takes to find a vendor or two they can trust.  Anyway, that was part of
>    my thinking the day I started this thread.  I'll have to come up with
>    another way to contribute to this project.

I was a bit hard, was tired and bitchy. What you doing there is a good
thing, as you put it, it's reassuring to some people who don't have
access to good dumpsters to find old mac bits. Or craigslist, or
whatever is popular these days. heh.

>    On a related note, you mentioned that Ubuntu people are posting here.
>    From my perspective, there are folks like me who dance between Debian and
>    Ubuntu from time to time; where else should we post when we're trying to
>    install the latest kernel, and the method we're attempting involves both
>    Debian and Ubuntu?

Well, that I may seem a bit picky, but "keeping the worlds apart" is
best. I don't mind if people share experiences, why would I :D? but I
often see that on IRC, and I wouldn't like to see that kind of
creeping here.

>    For example, in another thread we're working out how to get kernel 2.6.16
>    to boot on our OldWorld Macs.  As part of the process, I've installed the
>    most currently working version of Ubuntu that will effortlessly (um,
>    relatively) install on my PowerBook Wallstreet, and I've tried to jump to
>    Debian from there.  Now, I may not know what I'm doing -- someone's
>    indicated that what I'm attempting may not be possible -- but
>    nevertheless, the process I'm undertaking involves both Debian *and*
>    Ubuntu.

Yeh. I hear ubuntu has cd booting going on the oldworlds. That
involves miboot or some other apple-proprietary bits to make it
happen. I would do what I did with this x86: install ubuntu, then
change soures.list to point to all debian sources, then make judicious
use of aptitude to fix everything. Sounds easy, but it isn't. But if a
person doesn't have access to a floppy bay insert for a PB, then
that's probably the only current option they have.

>    Anyway, I appreciate your views on the matter.  I mean, my case may seem
>    rare -- I don't know.  I haven't been watching the debian-ppc list for all
>    *that* long to know what's typical fare here.  I only know that I'm simply
>    trying to get the latest kernel going on my PowerBook, and whether I end
>    up with Debian or Ubuntu (or Xubuntu, as I would probably prefer) nearly
>    doesn't matter to me.  As long as it's not Yellow Dog.  (That last
>    statement was a joke; I've never actually tried YD.)

For sure. I'm sorry I was a bit hard on you. I wish you good success
in your attempts.

I've tried YDL, don't ;). Security-wise, it's too wide open, and the
defaults suck in that way too. It trieѕ to be "user-friendly" but all
it does is being a potential zombie host.

>    Harold

take care,
simon

--
"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away.
You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something