Re: 17" Powerbook fan turns on when starting into Ubuntu Dapper

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 08:31:39PM -0700, Adam D wrote:
> > Can you file a bug report, including a diff of your .config and the debian
> > stock one, as well as the version used ?
> >
> > Friendly,
> >
> > Sven Luther
> >

> I am sorry for taking a bit long to list what I am been doing.  I have been trying many different scenarios and using different Debian Install disks.  Every Debian install disk has graphic issues when starting into Debian.  As soon as the kernel boots I get funky graphic lines that wave on the screen.  I don't get any of this when using the Ubuntu install disk at all.  I just downloaded the latest reversion of Debian and burned the disk.  http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r2/powerpc/iso-cd/  But I can't any choice in yaboot that will give me a proper kernel to boot from.

Notice, that you should try the etch/beta3 installer, which has a much better
chance to work on your probably radeon 9700 or so graphic card.

> Is there something I can do because this is my 2nd powerbook that is very temperamental in using Linux and it is very frustrating.  All my G3s (b&w), G4s, and G4 xserv all do very well and are running as servers and workstations quite nicely all the time.
>
> Stats:
>
> Machine Name:	PowerBook G4 17"
> Machine Model:	Powerbook5.5
> CPU Type:	PowerPc G4 (1,1)
> CPU Speed:	1.5 GHz
> L2 Cache (per CPU):	512KB
> Memory:		2G
> Bus Speed:	167 MHz
> Boot Rom Version:	4.86f0
>

> It was taking me some extra time because I have been trying to install a Debian system and use that so I can compare my configs compiled on Debian instead of Ubuntu with Debian's stock kernel.
>
> Is there a way I can not have any graphic distortion with lines scrolling up on the center of the monitor.

Please, oh please, file a bug report about this issue, writing it to me
personally and/or the mailing list, will make it lost in the noise rather
quickly.

For instructions on how to file a bug report, please :

apt-get reportbug
reportbug linux-2.6

(or mail the report directly to submit@bugs.debian.org, and use Package: linux-2.6 as the first line of the body).

Friendly,