Re: 17" Powerbook fan turns on when starting into Ubuntu Dapper

BXrge Holen wrote:
> On Thursday 10 August 2006 23:53, Adam D wrote:
>> OK,  I decided to just install Ubuntu on the 2nd Gen 17" powerbook with
>> ext3 as the file system and it works for now instead of booting into xfs.
>>
>> Upon startup and starting the network interfaces and then the portmap the
>> fan turns on full throttle and spins for a while. It is semi loud and is
>> rather annoying.   Is there a way not to have the fan spin when booting
>> into Ubunto on startup?
>
> Is the fan a problem? As in; a fault that make it spin, instead of temp.?
> Anyway, I believe I had some sort of unagreement with my fan together with
> kernel 2.6.8, while at it, I'm not completely sure.
>
>> -Adam

Guess one would say it is not a problem however when booting into OSX the fan does not turn on unless of something really pushing the CPU hard.  On Ubuntu the fan is extremely sensitive and turns on with the slightest  thing running.  I can't tell if it is heat related or not.  How does one tell?  As for the kernel.  I have not yet been able to have a good working kernel on the 17 powerbook yet :(.  Any kernel that does run when switching from a graphical tty to another tty, the display goes so wacky on me.

-Adam