Re: RAM for iBook

On 8/4/06, brian <cymraegish@yahoo.com> wrote:
 i stick to my guns. people with way more experience than
 me have warned of standards like pc133 etc for use in macs.
 it may or may not work, may depend on the manufacturer.

 i have never heard though that if it could damage the machine,
 if it is close anyway.

 i would still reccommend people buy mac memory from mac
 suppliers, unless they are getting some huge discount or something, want to
take a chance.

I concur about finding a supplier that will certify it's the right
memory. And it's not just Apple. I recently bought RAM for a Hewlett
Packard system and it didn't work at all. So I went to an online
supplier (4allmemory.com) that specified they had RAM for that
specific HP desktop. (It turned out it only accepts memory modules
having RAM chips soldered on both sides of the circuit board.)

If you buy "off brand" cheap RAM from someone, even if it's the right
specs you may have to go through several sets before you find one that
works. Basically you are doing the quality testing for them. Your
system may become unreliable, particular hardware functions may
trigger strange lockups, etc.

In 1998 on my old Wallstreet I learned I could test that machine's
flaky RAM just by putting it into sleep. If it woke up correctly all
was good. MacConnection was good about sending replacements but it was
annoying to mail the bad ones back. I decided that's what I got for
ordering the cheapest ones instead of the expensive name brand. They
probably don't even sell the flaky stuff anymore -- surely it's not
worth the support hassle. (By the way, the final set of cheap RAM
still works great today.)