Re: No sound with new kernel on old PowerBook G4

On 2006-08-05 11:55:51 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> I have an old PowerBook G4 (PowerBook3,2) and recently switched to a
> 2.6.17 kernel with the official linux-image-2.6.17-1-powerpc package
> (until now, I was using a 2.6.12 kernel I had compiled myself).

I was previously using "-d esd", and in fact, it is still working
(but I now need to run the command twice). The mixer didn't work,
but it is now solved too (I don't know why).

But is there a way to make ALSA work? I've run alsaconf, but I get:

Running update-modules...
Setting default volumes...
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
Saving the mixer setup used for this in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1163: No soundcards found...

 Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

 Have a lot of fun!

and the alsamixer command gives the error:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device