Re: booting the install on the H50

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:20:09 +0200, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:

>I also changed cd to cdrom in instal/ofboot.b
>	or is that for mac and the bootinfo.txt file is for IBM?
I presume that bootinfo.txt is for IBM platform, as they seem to have it on AIX
boot CDs too.

>in the bootinfo.txt file is says:
>	<boot-script>boot &device;:\install\yaboot</boot-script>
>
>Where does it get the &device from?
>
>Is that really supposed to be &device semi-colon colon,
>	or should it be colon comma?
I am not sure about syntax of this file. I had taken it from a working Debian
boot cd, so cannot comment. Checked syntax on Fedora Core 5 boot CD (boots on
7025-F50 with no problems at all) and it seems to be same:

<boot-script>boot &device;:\ppc\chrp\yaboot</boot-script>

jut location of yaboot binary differs.

>RE yaboot:  LFS and Gentoo use yaboot on their cdroms and don't have
>yaboot.conf in /etc.  The reason I dl'd them was to send as many options
>to the vendor to prove that Linux boots.  Why does debian's yaboot need
>it in /etc? Is it compiled that way?
Looks like Debian is compiled this way. The same way it works on Red Hat (on the
FC5 boot CD yaboot.conf is in /etc too)