Re: Wallstreet + quik + atyfb = crash

on my powerbook3400 where i just got quik going,
i just double checked -- i have no video options set at all.

just in case i worry somebody, my disk is ok i think (its
just the old fashioned laptop parking makes me nervous,
or maybe it does need some tuning somewhere, but its ok)

i do have apparently though some video driver problem,
that is no better or worse in quik or bootx. the pb3400 has
chips tho not ati, but keep reading.

worried about my disk, i did finally manage to backup my debian
sarge off the 3400 and copy it to my beige g3 and am up and running
there, more or less, with bootx. the one video problem i had
with chips disappears but there are some other minor problems,
i am still working with the xf86config. besides the ati there i also
have an ixmicro16MB card which i am studying how to get going.
(no luck yet). i have seen people suggest options like you are
discussing but i have no idea what the various flags there represent,
may be out of date, i don't wish to burn up something !!

one thing quik did help with on 3400 is now i have hotplug support
for my wireless card - that is it does not have to be inserted allways
before startup.

my video problem there is about some twisted up   fonts in various
places - only urw family apparently work ok. the evidence with the
beige being fine i either have and error in my x config or a problem
with video drivers / kernel somewhere ?

note i am always so far using stock kernels- that is i have not tried
either building my own or putting an etch kernel into sarge- now that
i have sarge on the g3 i have more resources there i might try it.
my oldworlds run sarge/2.6.8-3.

brian

Simon Stapleton <simon.stapleton@gmail.com> wrote:
So, I'm back on my Wallstreet, which I bought back in '99 or so as a
Linux machine, and then moved to OSX in 2001. For teh last year or
so, it's lingered, mildly unloved and gathering dust, and I decided
to get it back on Linux as a test platform.

So, as per my other post, I have it up and running, booting with
quik, and all is well. Except that, like Ben Racher, I can't get
accelerated video running with a quik boot. I _think_ that way back
when, I was quik booting with accelerated video (video=atyfb:vmode:
14,cmode:32 etc etc), but whether or not that's true it most
certainly doesn't work now.

I've tried with the stable branch kernel (2.6.8) both as a binary
install and as a modularised build and a monolithic build, ditto for
the "testing" kernel (2.6.15 as of yesterday). With "video=ofonly"
all is well, but any combination of arguments to "video=atyfb" cause
a hard crash - the screen gets blanked (presumably as the early
console driver gets switched out) and I see "screenmelt" psychedelic
patterns (or, if running with an external monitor, "signal out of
range" errors), there's a very brief flurry of hard drive activity
and then nothing. nada. Hard rebooting the system and coming back
up with working video shows that the boot process has not got as far
as mounting the root drive R/W as everything mounts clean with no
fsck required.

The same kernels, booted using the OS9 CD and an appleshare server
with BootX on it, boot fine with both "video=ofonly" and
"video=atyfb..."

It seems to me that quik is leaving the video card in a state that
the atyfb driver can't cope with, but of course I can't see any
output to even begin to tell where that might be happening. I might
be able to dig out a serial device to act as console if that is
possible. If I can debug what's going on I have no issues with doing
some real work on getting this going.

Anyway, any gurus feel like chipping in?

Simon