Wallstreet + quik + atyfb = crash

So, I'm back on my Wallstreet, which I bought back in '99 or so as a Linux machine, and then moved to OSX in 2001. For teh last year or so, it's lingered, mildly unloved and gathering dust, and I decided to get it back on Linux as a test platform.

So, as per my other post, I have it up and running, booting with quik, and all is well. Except that, like Ben Racher, I can't get accelerated video running with a quik boot. I _think_ that way back when, I was quik booting with accelerated video (video=atyfb:vmode: 14,cmode:32 etc etc), but whether or not that's true it most certainly doesn't work now.

I've tried with the stable branch kernel (2.6.8) both as a binary install and as a modularised build and a monolithic build, ditto for the "testing" kernel (2.6.15 as of yesterday). With "video=ofonly" all is well, but any combination of arguments to "video=atyfb" cause a hard crash - the screen gets blanked (presumably as the early console driver gets switched out) and I see "screenmelt" psychedelic patterns (or, if running with an external monitor, "signal out of range" errors), there's a very brief flurry of hard drive activity and then nothing. nada. Hard rebooting the system and coming back up with working video shows that the boot process has not got as far as mounting the root drive R/W as everything mounts clean with no fsck required.

The same kernels, booted using the OS9 CD and an appleshare server with BootX on it, boot fine with both "video=ofonly" and "video=atyfb..."

It seems to me that quik is leaving the video card in a state that the atyfb driver can't cope with, but of course I can't see any output to even begin to tell where that might be happening. I might be able to dig out a serial device to act as console if that is possible. If I can debug what's going on I have no issues with doing some real work on getting this going.

Anyway, any gurus feel like chipping in?

Simon