Re: new g5 dual core macs

On Jun 20, 2006, at 13:10, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 20:10 +0200, Brian Durant wrote:
No problems with thermal control? I am still experiencing thermal
control problems with my G5 single (PowerMac 9.1). The problem seems
to still exist in all Debian based distros. Fedora Core 5 PPC doesn't
have the problem anymore, so I don't really get why Debian based
distros are still experiencing this.

I just tried Xubuntu Dapper PPC desktop version and the problem is
still there.

Please tell me more about what the problem actually is and try with
2.6.17. Thermal control should be implemented by the windfarm_pm91
module on these machines (make sure you also have cpufreq loaded and
windfarm_cpufreq_clamp).

Ben.

Hi Ben,

I have tried with Debian Sarge PPC 3.1r2 netinstall, Debian Etch PPC beta 2 (?) and Xubuntu Dapper PPC (both the "live" desktop and install CDs). Unfortunately, I am still trying to get a yaboot.conf issue sorted so that I can actually boot into one of these installs. After that, I should be able to tell you more. As I have yet to get a Debian based Linux installed and working on my G5 single (PowerMac 9.1) for longer than 10 minutes at a time without it sounding like a jet engine revving, I am still largely a newbie and am unsure how to check to see if I have cpufreq loaded and windfarm_cpufreq_clamp somethinged.

Cheers,

Brian