Re: Installing Debian PPC 3.1rc2 Sarge onto a PowerMac 8600

Hi!

From what I can see here, you did everything right (a couple of false starts, but that happens to all of us!) I don't know why <cmd>- F2 didn't get you a screen with a shell -- it's never failed like that for me. But all's well that ends well, and you found a work- around by dropping to a shell from the main menu.

The "chroot /target" trick is really the best (and only reasonable) way to get access to a fully functional shell from which to do things like copy the kernel and initrd to where BootX can find them. I don't think it's in the documentation. It probably should be.

Incidentally, you can do "modprobe hfsplus" from inside the chroot'ed shell to install HFS support. I believe that the 2.6 kernel modules support both hfsplus and hfs. For what it's worth, you could have made your MacOS-9 partition hfsplus if you'd wanted to.

Which netinst did you use?  Here's how to find out:

Put the netinst CD in your drive and let the system mount it. (If it doesn't do it automatically, as root, do "mount -v /dev/cdrom /media/ cdrom") Then cd into /media/cdrom and search for a file called "Release". (I use "find", but YMMV) It's a text file and its contents will tell you the date the .iso you burned the CD from was created and some other useful information. There will probably be a few "Release" files. The one closest to the root (least number of intermediate directories) is most likely to be the one you're looking for.

The output of "uname -a" is also helpful.

The reason I'm interested is because I'm having trouble getting the "beta2" netinst (or anything later) to install on a beige G3, and I'd like to swap war stories with you and see if I can get it working.

Thanks!

Rick