Re: imac g3 installation problem

On Mon, 29 May 2006 01:33:24 +0200, Hans Ekbrand wrote:

> On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 04:34:33PM +0200, Giulio Canevari wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i have just received as a gift an Imac G3 233 Mhz with 96 mb of ram and
>> a 4 GB hd with macos 8.1, where the "monitor" contains the processor and
>> so on.
>>
>> It seems to have a damaged cdrom reader, i can't boot holding c the
>> debian business card cd ( burned correctly ). It doesn't also read disks
>> within mac os 8.1 . I don't know if it is possible to connect a normal
>> ide ( not slim ) unit externally, the cable is not standard as far as i
>> know.
>
> Install BootX, start the installation (kernel with initrd) from BootX.
> Let d-i delete the MacOS partition and hold your thumbs (if
> installation goes wrong, you won't be able to boot into MacOS again).
>
> If that sounds too scary, try to resize the MacOS partition within the
> debian-installer (or even within MacOS before starting d-i, but I
> don't think MacOS will allow that).

Never use BootX on an iMac. The CD drive may or may not come back to life
after applying this update from within MacOS (you must reboot after
applying the update, or the drive will not function at all):
If the drive does not come back to life after this and after a proper
cleaning, you might want to replace it with a burner. They are standard
laptop drives. In the meantime, you can still install Linux, but you must
use a netboot netinstaller because Apple has NEVER made ANY machine that
could boot from USB. In setting up your netboot environment, you must take
into account that the tray-loading iMacs use BootP and not DHCP. Also, if
you truly have a Rev. A, netbooting will likely not work at all until you
upgrade the firmware from within MacOS. Information about this may be
found at:
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/prod/dialspace/town/pipexdsl/s/asfq80/dotcom/panthereatsimac/tray.htm
While you're applying all these updates, it's a good idea to apply the
Modem Firmware update, even if you never use the modem. It's also a good
idea to keep the PDF file found in the update for reference on supported
AT commands should you ever need it. The update may be found at: