Re: 2.6.16 backtrace at boot (Ibook G4)

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 17:20 +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > Here a trace at boot from the sound driver :
> >
> > I think that bug happens if the sound driver loads before i2c-powermac.
>
> i2c-keywest is still request-module()d in 2.6.17-rc1, FWIW.
>
> Regarding other sound breakage with 2.6.17-rc1, I traced that to
>
> machine_is(powermac)
>
> returning zero in sound/ppc/pmac.c:snd_pmac_detect() when loading
> snd-powermac. The OSS driver spits -ENODEV as well on loading so I'd
> suspect the same thing here.
>
> machine_is boils down to a comparison machine_id == &mach_powermac, is
> that sort of thing illegal after kernel init?

It shouldn't be ... Even if mach_powermac is __init, the address of it
is invariant and is a kind of "id" of the machine, so that should have
worked. I've very worried if that breaks ... Maybe there is an issue
when doing that in modules... in fact, yeah... there must be ! I suppose
I need to have all the mach_xxx EXPORT'ed ! That complicates things a
bit, I'll have to think about it ...

Ben.