Re: jEdit, java, powerpc..

Charles, I also had a difficult time getting java
going on a new install of debian stabel on a
imac(powerpc).  What I finally got to work was
downloading the 32 bit version of IBM java2 version
1.5.  It looks like you downloaded the 64 bit version.

None of the IBM versions seem to work for me with
java-package from the stable release.  It sounds like
the unstable release may work with the 32 bit version
however.

What I wanted was to get the java plugin working with
mozilla.  I removed the java-package, downloaded the
ibm-java2-jre-50-linux-ppc.tgz file, and ran tar -zxvf
ibm-java2-jre-50-linux-ppc.tgz in the /opt directory.
Once you have the archive installed you can follow
instructions in the archive to update your path and
set  a symbolic link to libjavapluging_oji.so from the
mozilla plugins directory.

Problems I found with java-package for the powerpc
were that the supported versions from blackdown was
only 1.3.1.  The IBM version 1.3 and 1.4, while
supported by java-package did not have the
libjavaplugin_oji* files, they are missing!  IBM
version 1.5 does have the libjavaplugin files, but it
is not supported by stable java-package.

Since your goal is to get jedit working, I would skip
trying java-package at this point and just use the
instructions above.

Regards,

Terry Shannon

Charles Plessy wrote:

Based on these error messages, it looks like you are
using the gnu
java runtime. I thought you were using the Blackdown
jdk based on
the earlier messages in the thread.

        flar@nene:~$ java -version
        java version "1.3.1"
        Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard
Edition (build Blackdown-1.3.1-02b-FCS)
        Classic VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1-02b-FCS,
native threads, nojit)

sorbetã~ã$ java --version
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.3 20060115 (prerelease)
(Debian 4.0.2-7)

    This is free software; see the source for copying
conditions. There is
    NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
    PURPOSE.

Try using a recent jamvm or cacao rather than gij.
Much of the advanced Swing functionality used in jEdit
has not yet been implemented in the gij/gcj branch.
--
ç Chris Burdess
little safety