Re: Does Shockware Flash Plugin for Mozilla work on powerpc arch?

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 02:54:35PM +0100, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:16:02AM +0100, Uwe Steinmann wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:47:22PM -0800, tgs154-em@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > I've installed the swf-player package on Debian, and I
> > > no longer see the missing plugin icon on pages.
> > > However I still don't see the content, I only see a
> > > blank field where there should be content.
> > >
> > > Is there something else that I need to set?  I've
> > > installed the package from stabel sarge.
> > I made the experience that it sometimes works but in most
> > cases doesn't. Recent versions in sid has improved the situation
> > but it still kills my web browser way to often.
>
> Same here, on unstable: I already was considering removing swf-player
> completely from the system, because of these at times really ugly
> crashes of Firefox: Firefox in these instances is eating around 85-90%
> of the CPU after, IINM, swf-player has been loaded.

Another way of handling this would be to use the noscript plugin.  It
will let you disable flash (or javascript) generally, but it has a
handy icon to enable it for an individual site.  So you could
generally avoid it, but if there was some site you really wanted to
try you could turn it on and see if swf-player works for it.

On this topic, has anyone tried Gnash?  I got an announcement about it
from the FSF early in January (they were asking for more developers,
if anyone's interested), but haven't heard anything about it since.
Is it more or less mature than swf-player?

--
Mike Small
smallm@panix.com