Re: Which kernel-source for mac mini?

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 07:45:12PM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:

> Am 05.03.2006 um 18:57 schrieb Sven Luther:
>
> >You are trying to build the kernel package ? not just some modules ?
>
> What else do you suspect could be meant with "new kernel with make-
> kpkg"? ;-)

Well, you could be rebuilding the alsa modules or whatever for the prebuilt
kernels.

> >Maybe the
> >backports.org, they being unofficial packages, are just broken and
> >outdated.
> >Please just grab linux-source-2.6.15 2.6.15-7 from unstable.
>
> I have fetched the sources of the latest stabel kernel from
> kernel.org in the meantime. And make-kpgk has build a new kernel-
> package. But I gor warnings and FATAL errors at the end like:
>
> WARNING: /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.5/debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/
> 2.6.15.5clara/kernel/drivers/macintosh/windfarm_core.ko needs unknown
> symbol machine_power_off
>
> and
>
> WARNING: Couldn't open directory debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/
> 2.6.15.5: No such file or directory
> FATAL: Could not open debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.15.5/
> modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory
> make[1]: [real_stamp_image] Error 1 (ignored)
>
> Maybe, it makes sense to give it another try with sources from
> unstable, if there really no udev update is needed as the newer udev
> seems to work up from kernel 2.6.12 only according to the bug reports.

Yep, it is always better to use the debian kernel sources :)

As for udev, well, i tried building the sid udev on sarge, but it ended trying
to rebuild the whole gnome and KDE stacks, so i abandoned this. I heard that
there is a udev in backports that should build correctly.

> >I guess that if you intent to build your kernel, you are big enough
> >to know
> >that "you need to include" translate in adding a -I flag to gcc :)
>
> No, why? All the other custom I have made the last ten years, could
> be build without knowing that.

Well, i guess you are using a broken linux-source package, 2.6.15-7 should
have this fixed.

> >Its called linux-image, and no, i don't mean backports.org, just
> >grab the
> >official etch/sid kernels (2.6.15-7) and install them on your sarge
> >machine.
> >This is what i do, with a rebuilt yaird, on both my powerbook and
> >my always-on
> >pegasos machine, works just fine, except for the udev problem.
>
> I looked, if it was possible to install a kernel from Testing. But it
> wants to upgrade some essential things. So it seems not to make sense
> to take a risk on a running system for me.

You need to build yaird on sarge, and then use yaird and not initramfs-tools,
and it will be just fine. The problem with initramfs-tools is that it pulls in
klibc and udev, and udev pulls in loads of stuff. yaird has no such problem
and works just fine.

> >Well, on my powerbook the only things that i saw that cause
> >problems is that
> >pbbuttonsd doesn't aknowledge keyboard strokes as activity, only mouse
> >movement, but it could be something else, as pbbuttonsd also from
> >time to time
> >go into low-power-screen mode and refuses to go out of it.
>
> That does not sound good, but may be no problem with the Mac Mini.

Well. it is a minor desagrement :) I should really try building the backport
udev.

> I'll give it a last try next weekend, I think.
>
> For yaboot it is enought to have a loupe and something like
>
>          image=/boot/vmlinux
>            label=linux
>          image=/boot/vmlinux.old
>            label=old
>
> in the config to boot with the old kernel, if something goes wrong?

Mmm.

i really do give it the full path, and don't forget to include the initrd too.

Friendly,

Sven Luther