Re: Which kernel-source for mac mini?

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 06:21:36PM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:

> Am 05.03.2006 um 16:19 schrieb Sven Luther:
>
> >2.6.15 still builds with arch=ppc for 32bit kernels. You need to
> >include both
> >include/asm (which is a symlink to include/asm-ppc) and arch/ppc/
> >include
> >(which is a symlink to includ/asm-powerpc).
>
> I wonder why I should make changes to the debian-package I got from
> backports.org at all.
> Now I got the sources from kernel.org and build with make-kpkg works.

You are trying to build the kernel package ? not just some modules ? Maybe the
backports.org, they being unofficial packages, are just broken and outdated.
Please just grab linux-source-2.6.15 2.6.15-7 from unstable.

> >Wrong, you need to do the right thing :)
>
> See above: Why would I need to change a debian-package. Beside that
> "you need to include" is a quite incomplete answer. Obvioulsly the
> symlink was the wrong way. and there ist not symlink needed at all.

I guess that if you intent to build your kernel, you are big enough to know
that "you need to include" translate in adding a -I flag to gcc :)

> >You could also simply get the 2.6.15 linux-image from
> >backports/unstable/testing, and use the corresponding linux-headers
> >to build
> >your modules. Should work as fine as above.
>
> Which kernel-image? There is no image for PPC machines at backports.org.

Its called linux-image, and no, i don't mean backports.org, just grab the
official etch/sid kernels (2.6.15-7) and install them on your sarge machine.
This is what i do, with a rebuilt yaird, on both my powerbook and my always-on
pegasos machine, works just fine, except for the udev problem.

> >Be careful though that you need the unstable udev also, since the
> >sarge udev
> >is known to cause problems with newer kernels.
>
> Oh!

Well, on my powerbook the only things that i saw that cause problems is that
pbbuttonsd doesn't aknowledge keyboard strokes as activity, only mouse
movement, but it could be something else, as pbbuttonsd also from time to time
go into low-power-screen mode and refuses to go out of it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther