Re: Newbie Debian Etch PPC Yaboot Install Problems.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 06:59:34PM +0100, Andrzej Mendel wrote:
> Dnia 21-02-2006, wto o godzinie 19:04 +0100, Brian Durant napisa??(a):
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I installed Debian (Etch) PPC (I think this is considered to be
> > "testing"). At the end of the install, I got the following message:
> >
> > "Yaboot didn't install. You will need to boot manually with the
> > /boot/vmlinux kernel on partition /dev/sda3 and root=/dev/sda3 passed on
> > as a kernel argument."
> >
> > Since an Ubuntu yaboot kicks in at startup, I pressed "L" and then at
> > the "boot" prompt, I wrote:
> >
> > "/boot/vmlinux /dev/sda3 root=/dev/sda3"
> >
> > This didn't work as I got the following error:
> >
> > "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> > unknown-block(0,0)"
> >
> > Soooo, what do I do to boot into the Debian system for the first time
> > and how do I resolve the yaboot issue permanently?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Brian
> >
> You should just modify your yaboot.conf so you can dual boot
> Ubuntu/Debian.

[...]

> run ybin and voila, problem should be fixed.

If you still have ubuntu installed (and not only yaboot) and can boot
into it then the above should be easy.

But how to modify yaboot.conf when you cannot boot? How to do that is
not self-evident. Try booting the installation CD (or whatever means
you started the installation), let it run until the hardware is
recognized and then execute a shell from within the installer, mount
the partition where you have already installed debian, chroot into
it and then follow the advice from Andrzej Mendel.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E