Re: Newbie Debian Etch PPC Yaboot Install Problems.

Dnia 21-02-2006, wto o godzinie 19:04 +0100, Brian Durant napisał(a):
> Hi again,
>
> I installed Debian (Etch) PPC (I think this is considered to be
> "testing"). At the end of the install, I got the following message:
>
> "Yaboot didn't install. You will need to boot manually with the
> /boot/vmlinux kernel on partition /dev/sda3 and root=/dev/sda3 passed on
> as a kernel argument."
>
> Since an Ubuntu yaboot kicks in at startup, I pressed "L" and then at
> the "boot" prompt, I wrote:
>
> "/boot/vmlinux /dev/sda3 root=/dev/sda3"
>
> This didn't work as I got the following error:
>
> "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)"
>
> Soooo, what do I do to boot into the Debian system for the first time
> and how do I resolve the yaboot issue permanently?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian

You should just modify your yaboot.conf so you can dual boot Ubuntu/Debian. Something like that

default=Ubuntu
boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
root=/dev/hda6
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/hda3

image=/boot/vmlinux
        label=Ubuntu
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="quiet splash"
        root=/dev/hda6
        partition=6

image=/boot/vmlinux
        label=Debian
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        root=/dev/hda4
        partition=4

Change, of course, disk/partition numbers, run ybin and voila, problem
should be fixed.