Re: debian-PPC powerbook laptop support.

Hi David

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:29:14AM -0600, David Smoot wrote:
> What (if anything) do I give up by blowing out Mac OS X entirely and going
> to Debian-PPC on my powerbook?

              [ ... ]

> So I am at a decision point.  I've already lost about 5 months of data
> anyway.
> I can forget linux on my laptop and just set up mac os X (most expedient but
> it does not get me any closer to my long term goal of becoming more linux
> fluent)
> I can set my system back up as dual boot (most work but most flexible)
> I can throw away OS X and go full linux.
> [ ... ]

On my old Titanium IV I kept a small OS X partition for some time (2
years or so), just to be able to install the Apple firmware updates
for this machine .... Not being sure though whether that's really
neccessary, or whether there's a better solution than wasting disk
space for an OS X partition, just for getting the firmware updates ...

Anyone on the latter ... ?

As to the rest of your questions: As soon as I know that the new xorg
7.0 stuff works on my latest Alu Powerbook (5.8) I'll have Linux on
it.

I don't think I'd have wasted even a single minute's time on the idea
to buy one of these new ppc Powerbooks without the option to be able
to install Linux on it ... :)

Even an lousily working Linux is still more attractive to me on a ppc
Powerbook than a fully "working" OS X on that machine: Having OS X on
a Powerbook is a bit like watching a beautiful horse without the
possibility to actually ride it.

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on