Re: hi and first and hopefully last question

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 18:05 +0100, Daniel Payno wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> This is my first e-mail all because a few days ago bought myself a
> brand new iPowerBook 15" (Alubook so it seems :) with MACOsX
>
> It bundles a new dl superdrive:
>
> MATSHITA DVD-R   UJ-846:
>
>    Revisión del firmware:	FAAG
>    Interconexión:	ATAPI
>    Soporte de grabación:	Sí (incluido o compatible con Apple)
>    Caché:	2048 KB
>    Leer DVD:	Sí
>    Grabar CD:	-R, -RW
>    Grabar DVD:	-R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
>    Protección de falta de datos de grabación de CD:	Sí
>    DVD de protección de falta de datos de grabación:	Sí
>    Estrategias de escritura:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
>    Soporte:	No
>

> I plan to install linux but:
> 	* Ubuntu/PPC 5.10's Live/Install kernels don't support my Superdrive
Impossible, both Ubuntu 5.10 and Debian Sarge supports DVD writers, if
there's any problem, it is related to the IDE controller. I've got a
SuperDrive myself, almost identical model as yours, and it works like
a charm. Could you describe the problem a bit more?

> Does the latest Debian/PPC 3.0 iso support it? I planned to use the
> easeness of ubuntu as starting point, but aint afraid of a debian
> vanilla install.
Debian install is quite easy these days, Sarge installs on PPC without
any hitch and I guess Etch is even better.

> Also, i would like a pointer to a place to find an image not only
> bootable but with some app similar to qparted so that i can make
> space without erasing and recreating the MacOsX slices
>
> urls welcome!
Ubuntu LiveCD should do it. If Breezy doesn't work, try some Dapper
alpha releases, they're quite functional (I'm running one)