Re: iMac/nvidia & sleep

Sven Luther wrote:
On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:43:46AM -0800, Michael M. wrote:

Still no sleep for my flat-panel iMac (G4) monitor. The screen turns green. This is under Sarge with XFree86-4.3.0 and an nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 card. It's unclear to me, from browsing through the list archive, whether it's possible to get the monitor to sleep and if so, what to use.

In this message:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/02/msg00695.html

Carlos Marín says sleep works on this machine with pmud (which aptitude indicates is for PowerBooks), but he's using a different kernel, and his message is almost 2 years old. And in another message on that same 2-year-old thread, Benh indicates that the video chip is the problem and says there's little or no hope for nVidia based machines.

There's another package, powerpc-utils, that conflicts with pmud. I don't know which might be worth trying, or if either would do any good, or if I'd need some kernel patch, or if, two years later, it's still hopeless. Any enlightenment on how to make this monitor go dark?

The problem is not the tool used, but the fact that we have no information on
how to put the graphic chip to sleep.

Yeah, I got that. But given that Carlos (quoted above) said it worked at some point with pmud, I thought perhaps it might still be possible, and was hoping someone who is more familiar with the issues could point me in the right direction (if there is any direction worth trying). I don't know what, if any, ill-effects trying to use a tool designed for laptops might have on a desktop. I'm not all that experienced with or knowledgeable about Linux in general or Debian in particular, though I used Debian for some time on x86. But for the most part, everything "just worked" on x86 and I never had to get that deeply into it. PowerPC is much more challenging.

Simply, don't buy hardware with nvidia graphics in it, and you should have no
such problems :)

You're about four years too late with that advice.  :-)

Actually, though I did in fact buy this machine, I didn't buy it for myself, but I've now inherited it. So here I am stuck in nVidia land. I probably wouldn't have known enough not to buy nVidia products anyway, though, because my old x86 desktop had an nVidia card and everything save 3D acceleration worked perfectly with the "nv" driver. As I'm not a gamer, I didn't care about the acceleration and never bothered installing the proprietary nVidia driver.

--
Michael