Re: Sudden Power Loss (Resolution?)

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 16:44 +0100, Rainer Gutkas wrote:
> Have you checked the date settings recently? So I had this problem once
> on my G3 Powerbook Pismo under Ubuntu-Hoary. After this sudden
> power-lost everything seemed scrambled, which made no sense to me,
> because I'm using ext3 and checked the disk right afterwards, nothing wrong.
> I searched for a day and then I noticed that the problem was the
> automatic time server synchronization in Gnome Date&Time Preferences,
> which I had activated. It set my internal clock to 1970 or something
> like this.

Actually, I think that's because a hard shutdown resets the HW clock,
and the NTP daemon can't adjust the time beyond a certain delta, so you
may have to use ntpdate or set an approximate date manually after that.
Something that shouts 'dude, it's the 21st century!' or whatever on
bootup when this happens might be nice. :)

> I deactivated this option and never ever had problems with sudden
> shutdowns, [...]

Interesting. Could it be that the NTP daemon can somehow confuse the
kernel's timekeeping such that it fails to service the PMU in time,
causing the shutdown? Something more to speculate about...

FWIW, I used to have regular sudden shutdowns a couple of months ago.
They stopped when I stopped using cpudyn (or any other cpufreq daemon).
About a week ago, I switched from pmud to pbbuttonsd, and today I had a
sudden shutdown again, on AC and with mostly full battery. Note that I
don't mean to blame pbbuttonsd, I'm pleasantly surprised by how it's
come along since the last time I tried it, just wanted to add another
data point.