Re: Newbie planning vanilla Debian 31r1a-powerpc net install.

On 27. jan 2006, at 12.15, Charles Plessy wrote:

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 11:44:04AM +0100, Brian Durant wrote :

1) Which option "install-*" do I use to start an install for the
following:

Hi,

What options can you chose ? any finishing by 4 or 64 should be fine.

Noted.

You shouldn't have to be a guru to get a plain vanilla Debian
system installed and running.

I did not use the Sarge installer, but with the Etch one, you should be
able to do everything just by pressing return when asked a question,
especially if you want an automatic partitionning...

(see the bug report I sent you in one of the first mails, it is an
installation report)

Interesting. I decided to try the same installer as you did. I downloaded the iso file, burned the CD and went through the install procedure. Same installer Ubuntu is using these days. Everything worked pretty well, but I was spumped as to the UTC question, but just pressed return. No idea how to do this though:

"Fortunately, the patch is very simple: 8 lines to remove. I booted on
rescue mode, mounted my debian root partition, edited the ofpath script
with vi, and re-tried the yaboot installation. It works!"

I don't understand anything in the URLs included in the bug report or in the above statement, so I don't know what to do about it. Ubuntu seems to have fixed this.

You also mention: "The bad news is that yaboot is not correctly configured..."

This seems to be the same problem that I ran into with Ubuntu Dapper Flight 3 PPC install. I tried using the same method as I did with the Ubuntu install. I used the Ubuntu Dapper Flight 3 PPC live-CD. Here are the results:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/linux
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda3 /mnt/linux
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkofboot --config /mnt/linux/etc/yaboot.conf -v
mkofboot: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/sdb2'...
mkofboot: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/sdc3'...
ofpath: /dev/sdc3: No such file or directory
mkofboot: Unable to determine OpenFirmware path for macosx=/dev/sdc3
mkofboot: Try specifying the real OpenFirmware path for macosx=/dev/ sdc3 in /mnt/linux/etc/yaboot.conf

Not sure where to go from here :-(

there are more user friendly ways of doing this.

Do not be impressed by the questions, just press return :)

look at the Unofficial Ubuntu 5.04 Starter Guide (PowerPC) for an
example of what I am talking about.

I am sure that there are also plenty of friendly *unofficial*
installation guides for debian. You can find some with screenshots with
a little bit of googling.

How about this one ?

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2005/09/29/ installing_debian.html

Not very useful or pedagogical. Take a look at:

http://www.7throot.com/files/ubuntu/

You will see the difference.

Cheers,

Brian