Re: Yaboot Man pages on Internet?

On 27. jan 2006, at 1.38, Charles Plessy wrote:

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 03:40:02PM +0100, Brian Durant wrote :

Here is what my yaboot conf file looks like:

## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

Maybe you could look for a way to have more than one entry in the menu
for osX. This way, you could test things quicker...

Interesting issue, this. Ubuntu Dapper Flight 3 PPC started getting too buggy. I had to keep resetting PRAM. Of course, this is to be expected with a beta version. I went in and installed YDL 4.0.1 and even tohough this should have been more stable, it was just as buggy as Dapper :-0 Anyway, I copied the new yaboot.conf file as it was the one part of the system that worked without complaint. Here it is:

# yaboot.conf generated by anaconda

boot=/dev/sda2
init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux! Hit <TAB> for boot options."
partition=3
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
delay=10
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/sdb3

image=/vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5
	label=linux
	read-only
	initrd=/initrd-2.6.10-1.ydl.1g5.img
	root=/dev/sda4
	append="rhgb quiet"

# Where's the bootstrap partition
boot=/dev/sda2

Actually, since people manage to have a dual boot with osX on the first drive, do you really need to have linux on this one? What about swapping
them and following the instruction you found on the web?

macosx=/dev/sdb3
maybe you could paste the result of the ofpath command here instead of
/dev/sdb3

For all of the documentation on yaboot on the net, it actually seems
quite limited as to the functions that are documented. For example,
how can you do a devalias command and then save the output to your HD
or print it?

I printed it with a pen :) But did you try to run /usr/sbin/ofpath
/dev/sdb?

Anyway, my main task at this time is to solve the "device"
issue so that I can boot into OS X without having to start from the
OF graphic mode with the option key held down at startup.

If I were you, I would try to swap the drives, and to reinstall
everything if necessary, exactly like on the howto you found (with the
same install CD for linux if possible).

So now, I am planing to install a vanilla Debian 31r1a-powerpc net install.

Many thanks,

Brian