Re: Yaboot won't boot OS X with Ubuntu/OS X dual boot Power Mac G5.

On 24. jan 2006, at 14.31, Charles Plessy wrote:

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:47:35PM +0100, Brian Durant wrote :
Hi Charles,

Yes, I see your point. The thing is that still being newbieish to
both Linux and OS X, I don't fully understand this. Here is what I know:

Hi,

I am also very uncomfortable with macintoshes, but I have some
experience of debian. Maybe you can post your answer to this mail on the
mailing-list again, because there are experts reading it. But experts
are busy, they need to grasp quickly the informations to get in the mood
for a quick answer :)

What kind of mac do you have ? What is the result of cat /proc/cpuinfo ?

Hardware Overview:

  Machine Name: Power Mac G5
  Machine Model: PowerMac9,1
  CPU Type: PowerPC G5  (3.0)
  Number Of CPUs: 1
  CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
  Memory: 1 GB
  Bus Speed: 600 MHz
  Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f2

 The result of cat /pro/cpuinfo is:

processor       : 0
cpu             : PPC970FX, altivec supported
clock           : 1800.000000MHz
revision        : 3.0 (pvr 003c 0300)

timebase        : 33333333
machine         : PowerMac9,1
motherboard     : PowerMac9,1 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 337 (PowerMac G5)
pmac flags      : 00000000
L2 cache        : 512K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld

1) I can boot into the Ubuntu HD with both drives connected.

How are they connected ? Master / slave ? Are they all SATA ?

They are both internal SATA drives. The drives are connected like this:

/dev/sda
        #                    type name                  length   base      ( size )  system
/dev/sda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1         ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/sda2         Apple_Bootstrap untitled                1954 @ 64        (977.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/sda3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled           150386719 @ 2018      ( 71.7G)  Linux native
/dev/sda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                 5912751 @ 150388737 (  2.8G)  Linux swap

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=156301488
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb
        #                    type name                  length   base      ( size )  system
/dev/sdb1     Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1         ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/sdb2              Apple_Free                       262144 @ 64        (128.0M)  Free space
/dev/sdb3               Apple_HFS Untitled           319910838 @ 262208    (152.5G)  HFS
/dev/sdb4              Apple_Free                           10 @ 320173046 (  5.0k)  Free space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=320173056
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

This info is old. sda has since had Ubuntu installed, so the partitioning looks different, but sdb is the same.

2) Holding down the command-option-o-f keys all together after
pressing the power-on button does not bring up an OF prompt.

That somewhat strange. What about trying to press them all before
swiching on, and releasing them only when you see some text on the
screen ?

No luck. Same problem

3) I can't bring up the graphic OF interface. Do you know the key
command combo? I thought it was just "o", but that didn't work.

I think it is just the apple key alone. Or the option one. But only
one.

Here it states that it is both command and option.

4) I mounted my OS X partition under Ubuntu and simply couldn't find
the kernel for some reason.

Why do you want to find the kernel ? Are you sure that you need to know
where the osX kernel is to boot osX ?

No idea. I just thought it might be necessary.

I was looking on what is "sdb3" for me.

What is the result of /sbin/cfdisk -P t /dev/sda ? /sbin/cfdisk -P t
/dev/sdb ?

I got an error on both of them. Could there be an error in the argument?

5) I have created and "mnt/hfs" folder in Ubuntu, I just don't
remember how to get the partition (sdb3) to mount automatically.

Me neither :) Maybe you would better mount it manually for the moment.
Is it listed in /etc/fstab ?

Now it is. I'll see if it shows up when I boot next time.

The only other thing I can think
of is when I do get an OF prompt, to try a string like: boot: sd:3,/
vmlinux root=/dev/hda3 ro. That assumes that "sd" stands for a SATA
drive in OF.

I am getting confused : do you want to boot linux or osx ?

Linux seems to work fine. I am having a problem with booting OS X.

Many thanks for all of the help so far.

Cheers,

Brian