Re: pbbuttonsd beta on new Powerbook5,8

> >> opens them all. But event4 ... event31 all report ENODEV.
> >
> > Just wondering ... Does the USB keyboard driver report events at all?
> > I'll check that with an external keyboard ASAP.
>
> I have activity detection working now. I have no idea what made it work,
> might be something to do with mouseemu (which was stopped at that moment
> because it ate 100% CPU). But it's not determinsitic; I first thought it
> was a plain incompatibility with mouseemu, so stopping that should make
> everything work.

Well, the 'mouseemu eats the CPU' bug has been popping up on occasion, I
thought we had fixed that by now.

> Well, no luck, it's not that easy. Neither the fact that mouseemu is
> running in parallel, nor the order in which thez are started seems to
> matter.

There's a possible race between creation of the uinput device mouseemu
uses to forward events, and the opening of this device by later apps. And
there's been problems with the number of event devices being checked by
either mouseemu or pbbuttonsd (forgot which). And there may be input
devices that are fake (no real device attached, I have two such). Check
/sys/class/input/input*/name to see what is what, and if the virtual
devices mouseemu created are really there. Then check which of these
pbbuttonsd uses, and if there's any events going over those devices.
This may sound fuzzy, or even obvious, but I can't give more specific
hints off the cuff...

> There is one change, though, I replaced the earlier FN-key patch
> (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=3856) with the newer one
> (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=4127). But I can't se
> what impact this can have on event detection.

None, I'd hope.

	Michael